St Mary’s Church is serious in its responsibilities to help stop the spread of coronavirus and to support those affected. We’re regularly reviewing what we’re doing in line with the latest guidance from the Government, Public Health England and the Diocese of Leeds.
Please follow all official advice around self-isolation, wearing a mask in public places and hygiene best-practices.
Please get in touch if you would like the Church to offer what support it can during this time.
If you have symptoms of COVID-19 then do not visit your GP or attend hospital unless told to do so. Remain at home and follow the NHS self-isolation advice. If symptoms persist or become serious, use the NHS 111 Online service for more help, or call 111.
Last updated Friday 28 August.
What we’re doing
- You can join us online for an act of worship every Sunday at 10.00 am, as well as see all our previous services, at whitkirkchurch.org.uk/live.
- You can call us at 0113 467 6777 (charged at the usual rate) to listen to audio recordings of the past few weeks of our services.
- You can listen to all our services on our podcast, by searching your favourite podcast directory for “St Mary’s Church, Whitkirk”.
- You can book in advance to attend an in-person service each week in which you can receive communion.
- Services such as weddings, funerals and baptisms can be held with limited attendance.
- We have reduced the seating available in the church to increase physical distancing, as well as providing hand sanitiser, increasing our cleaning of the building, and asking people to wear face coverings.
- Our Community Centre is being gradually reopened to selected users based on risk and the ability to maintain suitable distancing, and we’re meeting regularly to review this.
- We have published a weekly Midweek Musing throughout the summer, offering thoughts on various aspects of worship and spirituality you may not often get the chance to explore. You can find these on our YouTube playlist.
- You can keep up with what we’re doing on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.
- We’re publishing a weekly email newsletter which covers items of interest in the Church and local area, as well as important updates as things change.
- We’re providing additional outreach and pastoral care to members of the community who need it.
- We’ve put together a collection of prayers and resources to help you continue your worship.
- The Church’s Coronavirus Management Team is meeting regularly to discuss matters, share updates and make decisions which do not need the approval of the full PCC.
What you can do
The best way you can help is to follow all official advice, and limit your contact with others wherever possible. Always follow hygiene best-practice by regularly washing your hands with soap – especially after going outdoors – and wearing a face covering whenever you are in the church, in an indoor public space, or in crowded outdoor areas.
If you are in a low-risk group and are healthy, you can volunteer to offer help with Voluntary Action Leeds in partnership with Leeds City Council.
- You can join us for worship every Sunday at 10.00 am at whitkirkchurch.org.uk/live.
- You can attend an in-person service each week.
- We’ve put together a collection of prayers and resources you may find useful.
- The Church of England provides liturgy and prayer resources for this time.