St Mary’s Church is serious in its responsibilities to help stop the spread of coronavirus and to support those affected. We’re regularly reviewing what we’re doing in line with the latest guidance from the Government, Public Health England and the Diocese of Leeds.
Please follow all official advice around remaining at home except for in permitted situations, maintaining distance, wearing a mask in public places and following good hygiene practices.
Please get in touch if you would like the Church to offer you what support we can during this time.
If you have symptoms of COVID-19 then do not visit your GP or attend hospital unless told to do so. Remain at home and follow the NHS self-isolation advice. If symptoms persist or become serious, use the NHS 111 Online service for more help, or call 111.
Last updated Tuesday 5 January 2021.
What we’re doing
- During this period of national lockdown, all our in-person worship is suspended.
- Our Sunday Service at 10.00 am is live-streamed each week on our website, where you can also find all of our previous services, at whitkirkchurch.org.uk/live.
- You can call us on 0113 467 6777 (charged at the usual rate) to listen to audio recordings of the past few weeks of our services.
- You can listen to all our services on our podcast, by searching your favourite podcast directory for “St Mary’s Church, Whitkirk”.
- Weddings and funerals can be held with limited attendance. Please get in touch if you would like to book either.
- Our church building is closed to all in-person worship, except for those involved in streaming the service.
- Our Community Centre is closed to all users (except if booked by the local authority, such as for the annual flu vaccine or blood donation.)
- We have shared thoughts on items of scripture, poetry and more. You can find these on our YouTube playlist.
- You can keep up with what we’re doing on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.
- We’re publishing a weekly email newsletter which covers items of interest in the Church and local area, as well as important updates as things change.
- We’re providing additional outreach and pastoral care to members of the community who need it.
- We’ve put together a collection of prayers and resources to help you continue your worship.
- The Church’s Coronavirus Management Team is meeting regularly to discuss matters, share updates and make decisions which do not need the approval of the full PCC.
What you can do
The best way you can help is to follow all official advice, and remain in your homes wherever possible. Always follow hygiene best-practice by regularly washing your hands with soap – especially after going outdoors – and wearing a face covering if you must leave your home.
- Our Sunday service is available to watch live every Sunday at 10.00 am, and throughout the week at whitkirkchurch.org.uk/live.
- We’ve put together a collection of prayers and resources you may find useful.
- The Church of England provides liturgy and prayer resources for this time.