A letter from the bishops
The bishops of Leeds, Kirkstall, Wakefield, Huddersfield, Ripon and Bradford have written an open letter to all on the subject of returning to worship now that restrictions are beginning to be lifted.
You can read the letter on our website.
Sunday 1 August 2021, 4.00 pm to 5.30 pm
St Mary’s Church, Whitkirk
Come join us on Yorkshire Day to learn more about our three bells and the art of bell ringing, and even have the opportunity to climb our tower and give it a go yourself!
Worshipping in person
Following the changes to COVID-19 restrictions on 19 July, the PCC at St Mary’s has reviewed the guidelines and has made some changes to our rules for attending services.
Full information on everything we’re doing during the Pandemic can be found on our dedicated coronavirus page, but here are the highlights:
- There is no longer any need to book in advance to attend any of our services, but during busy times you may need to wait outside before we can safely let you in.
- We encourage you to download the NHS Test & Trace App, and scan the QR Code on your way in.
- We still request that you cover your mouth and nose at all times except when receiving communion, unless you are exempt. This includes whilst singing.
- They say ‘he who sings prays twice’ – so we’re delighted to be doubling our prayers by returning to congregational singing.
- We have removed seating restrictions from the pews in the Nave – so friends can sit together again…
- …But if you would like to keep some extra space between yourself and others, we recommend sitting in the side-aisles where our pews remain distanced.
- For those with young children, we’re trialling a return to Tots’ Corner. Please remember that children must remain with their grown-ups at all times, and should still clean their hands on entering and leaving the building.
- In line with advice from the Bishops, Holy Communion will remain as bread only for the time being. This is still considered to be full communion by the Church of England.
- Although we plan to offer refreshments at the end of a service soon, we aren’t ready to do so just yet. We’ll let you know when this changes.
As always, we are keeping a close eye on things such as infection rates, and may make other changes to these rules in the future.
We hope to see you again in person soon, but if you can’t make it or if you don’t feel comfortable we will continue to stream all our services live on our website and YouTube channel, as well as making them available to listen to later by phone or podcast.
The Church family
For your prayers
- Pat Hyde
- Beryl Laverick
- Ginny Camponi
- Tom Heaphy
- Donald Townsley
- Alan and Mavis Cross
- Christine Oates
- Jeff Blowers
- Geoffrey Lidster
Those in long-term care
- Mary Metcalfe
- Doreen Haw
- Margaret Burton
- George Brown
- Jennifer Moad
- Edna Jackson
- Muriel Stancliffe
Anniversary of death
- Enid and Bob Hodgson
- David Graham