When the house and estate at Temple Newsam were acquired by the City of Leeds in 1922, one of the conditions of the sale was that each year a Eucharistic service according to the rites of the Church of England be held to mark the occasion.

For almost a century that service has been provided by St Mary’s Church, Whitkirk. This year we were unable to meet in person to celebrate the event, but on Sunday 20 September we streamed the annual service, including readings from the Lord Mayor of Leeds and the Earl of Halifax, a sermon by the Dean of Ripon Cathedral, and hymns sung by the St Mary’s Choir.