Bits and pieces the technical team here at Whitkirk have been up to in the past week.
A bit of title card fun
Closely related to the cameras project, we needed to create some title cards to display before and after a service. We also threw together a test card, inspired by the famous Test Card F and made possible by this little project.
Further refinements to orders of service
Following on from last week’s test runs, we’ve been refining our automatic generation of PDFs for orders of service. More specifically, from the same web-ready order of service text, we can now generate (early, so not yet ready for prime time) versions of:
- A PDF to view on a digital device
- A print-ready PDF, taking care of things like wider margins to account for the spine and making sure pages are always a multiple of four so they print nicely into a booklet
- Large-format PDFs, because not everybody can read the text at the usual size we print it
- PDFs using a dyslexia-friendly typeface, because sometimes using a purpose-designed typeface can make reading orders of service easier for people with dyslexia.
- And, because all this is done on the fly, we can mix and match to create a large-format print-ready PDF in a dyslexia-friendly typeface.
We’ll be doing some more testing of these in the coming weeks and particularly once we return to regular in-person worship.
We’ll also be rolling out more accessibility tools in our orders of service on the website, giving quick options for things like swapping them to high-contrast, large size, and using the dyslexia-friendly typeface.